Friday, June 10, 2011

Thick skin and gorgeous nails

"You can't let other people tell you who you are. You have to decide that for yourself."

Today I got a manicure/pedicure combo (the gift certificate was a b'day gift from a friend) and while the lady was giving me a pedicure she commented that I had thick skin. I giggled (I'm assuming she meant the calluses) and said it's because I'm a runner.

The lady in the chair next to mine decided that a comment was okay and made a "twig" comment (there are seriously not enough words in the English language to explain how much I hate ANY body comments) but today I let it go and texted a friend about something totally separate

Then the manicurist commented on my "odd color combo choice" btw I love teal and red together and the names fit in my life right now "suzi says feng shui" and pinpricks (I'm going to acupuncture tonight) but I laughed and was like whatever

recently I have gotten a couple other comments that I thought wow I am doing so well!

"you look better" (okay still heard fat but I didn't cry then - I waited)

"you know that's the family home you're selling how can you do this?"

"your new house is too small, with no land and an ugly color what were you thinking?"

And I talked about these in therapy and was all like aren't I awesome they don't bother me... My therapist pointed out if they aren't bothering you why are you still talking about them? And you know therapist was right! I am hurt and sad and maybe my skin isn't as thick as I'm portraying... I'm not sure how I'll get there but I will! And I will have FABULOUS nails to boot!

+++is there really anybody who doesn't care what other people think? Who aren't stung by comments?+++

Really I wanna know! And then I want them to tell me how to get there!!

2 comments:

Missy said...

I think there are certain people who can say that certain thing that will just make you burn inside...
that is not wrong.
Getting tore up about nails? Ahh...who cares!
So you are pretty normal and those house comments were inapro and you have a RIGHT to be hurt and offended. Now own it 0--0.
Feel free to let them know how you feel, too!

Laura said...

I'm stung by comments all the time. I try to remind myself that what other people think really doesn't matter and that I am entitled to my own opinions. I agree with Missy- you do have a right to be hurt if something is inappropriate, then you get to decide if a) you'll do something about it or b) let it go. The thing is to not let people control you with their comments.

Subscribe via email

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner